I would like to update everyone on Miss Ashley. When she was born she a small spot on her upper left arm. I had it examined thoroughly in Atlanta with a Vascular Surgeon conducting an MRI. We were told that it was a hemangioma and would fade away with time. Unfortunately it has not faded and actually is getting worse. It usually appears darkened and becomes painful where Ashley is fighting a cold or illness. So this last time she became ill I took her to the pediatrician
and he says in his opinion is was misdiagnosed as a hemangioma. He said
that it is common to misdiagnose when they are little. It is what he is
believed to be an arteriovenous malformation (AVM). He referred us
for an Xray and ultrasound. We had the ultrasound and Xray last week and now we have been referred to Children's Hospital in Washington D.C. Tomorrow (Wednesday February 27th) Ashley and I will head into the city to have a consultation with a surgeon to discuss what our next step is. Below is a quick definition from some of my research.
From the Seattle Childrens
hospital website:
An AVM can be
visible at birth, appearing as a stain that looks like a hemangioma.
Arteriovenous malformations are fast-flow vascular malformations
with an abnormal connection between the arteries and veins. The skin of
the AVM feels warmer to the touch than skin in other areas. The mass is dark
red. Pulsing in the mass can be seen from the rapid shunting between
arteries and veins. The formation and exact cause of the lesion is
unknown, though it seems to develop within the first trimester of
pregnancy. Untreated AVMs slowly progress over time. The lesions become
larger, darker, warmer, more painful and pulse more. Symptoms such as
pain, swelling or bleeding may develop in early childhood, or the lesion may
remain unchanged until puberty or even young adulthood.
I've been praying for ya'll ALL day!
ReplyDelete